Tuesday, March 31st Good morning. We are starting to use google classroom as of today. Scroll down for the codes. This is the beginning of the last quarter. Please make sure you make your best efforts. Stay well. Email me is you have any questions.
Thursday, March 26th
Happy Birthday Vincent Lagrega!! See. I remembered lol.
Good morning everyone. I hope you and your families are well,
1. There will not be any assignments tomorrow or Friday which is a directive from Mr. McLaughlin.
2. On Tuesday, which is the start of the fourth quarter, I will switch over to google classroom, Understand that I am new at it. If there any problems email me and /or check the notes page.
3. Mr. McLaughlin has asked teachers to accept late work. So this is a make up assignment for "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" if you did not submit the original.
In 6-8 sentences, explain the irony of specific individuals reactions to Bernice bobbing her hair.
4. Today's assignment: You should have finished reading both Hemingway stories. Answer each of the following questions in short paragraphs of 4-6 sentences. Do not include the questions; just your responses.
1. The Great Gatsby gives a glimpse of the corruption, often associated with organized crime, of the 1920's. If you remember Meyer Wolfsheim was the man who fixed the World Series of 1919, How do "My Old Man" and "The Killers" also establish the corruption that existed during this time period.
2. In what ways are both Joe and Nick Adams naïve? Give evidence of this from both stories,
3. I commented on Hemingway's writing style earlier in the week. Both stories end with shorter, blunt sentences that are packed with meaning. Explain the meaning of the last sentences in both stories relevant to the plot and character development in each story,
The assignment must be submitted by 5pm today,
Have a good day.
Wednesday, March 25th
Good morning. I hope you and your families are well.
Today you need to finish reading the story I assigned yesterday called "The Killers" by Ernest Hemingway. You will have an assignment tomorrow on both "My Old Man" and "The Killers".
Have a good day.
Tuesday, March 24th
Good morning. I hope you are all well and hanging in there.
Your assignment for today and tomorrow is to read another Hemingway story called "The Killers" (pdf). On Thursday you will receive an assignment that will ask you to make comparisons between the two stories.
Have a good day.
Monday, March 23rd
Good morning. I hope you and your families are all well.
1. The following students still need to join google classroom by the end of today:
2. Moving forward, I will not accept assignments after notes/answers to the assignments have been posted. You must adhere to deadlines.
3. Your assignment today is to finish reading the story "My Old Man" by Ernest Hemingway (pdf).
REMEMBER TO JOIN GOOGLE CLASSROOM BY THE END OF TODAY USING THE CODES BELOW. KEEP CONSULTING THIS PAGE UNTIL I TELL YOU TO SWITCH TO CLASSROOM.
Friday, March 20th
Good morning everyone. I hope you're hanging in there and all is well with you and your families.
1. "Bernice Bobs Her Hair". like The Great Gatsby, gives a glimpse of the changing values of the 1920's. Women who bobbed their hair at this time were considered rebellious and immoral. Long hair on women was considered traditional and appropriate. In the story, Bernice represents more traditional values while Marjorie represents more modern values. Marjorie isn't concerned about being proper which makes her popular with her peers. When Bernice visits Marjorie, Bernice cannot understand why she isn't popular with Marjorie's friends. Marjorie teaches Bernice to be "modern" and Bernice gains popularity. Bernice and Marjorie both come from old money as do their country club friends. When Bernice becomes too popular for Marjorie's liking, Marjorie ruthlessly puts Bernice in a position of having to go through with bobbing her hair. Once her hair is bobbed, Marjorie's friends immediately distance themselves from Bernice, which is what Marjorie expected. Although Marjorie's friends seem to admire more modern behavior, their more traditional values prevail (almost the way Daisy and Tom are disgusted by Gatsby's parties). This story, like Gatsby, reveals how shallow people became, as well as the elitist attitudes of people from old money. The story ends with Bernice getting revenge on Marjorie by her cutting off Marjorie's hair (similar to Tom telling George Wilson about Gatsby).
2. Your assignment for today and Monday is to read a story called "My Old Man" (pdf). The author of the story is Ernest Hemingway who was a contemporary of F. Scott Fitzgerald. Hemingway's style of writing is different from Fitzgerald's and is sometimes compared to an iceberg; he says less and implies more--the majority of an iceberg is beneath the water's surface. Like The Great Gatsby, this story also addresses the corruption of the 1920's.
Thursday, March 19th
Good morning. I hope you and your families are well.
1. Please follow instructions for submitting material. Some of you emailed me work yesterday that was supposed to be completed and done today.
2. Make sure you join google classroom using the codes below if you have not already done so.
3. Work on the assignment I posted yesterday and submit by 3pm. Notice that I extended the time.
Have a good day.
Wednesday, March 18th
Good morning. I hope you are all well. I understand distance learning is new for all of us and will initially cause us all some anxiety. Don't stress. We will figure it out as we go along. Do not worry about submitting things to me until I specifically request them. And of course grading will be a bit different at this point since we're not in the classroom together and did not anticipate this scenario.
Today you need to finish reading "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
Tomorrow (not today) I want you to email me a response to the following question: What does the story reveal about people's values during that time period? Your response should be 6-8 sentences. You must use specific details from the story to support your answer. Submit your response by 1pm tomorrow, not today. This is a 25 point assignment.
Please join google classroom by Friday, but keep checking this page until I tell you to switch over to classroom.
Note: Please use the following codes to join google classroom by this Friday. Keep checking this page for assignments until I switch over.
C Period ipl6ujw
F Period umzeboo
Stay well. I miss you people.
Tuesday, March 17th Happy St. Patrick's Day
Your assignment for today and tomorrow is to read the short story "Bernice Bobs Her Hair" by F. Scott Fitzgerald (available as a pdf). As you read the story, which like The Great Gatsby takes place in the 1920's, write down ideas that Fitzgerald develops in this story that are similar or different than themes developed in Gatsby.
These are the answers to the Vocabulary assignments you completed yesterday with some explanation.
1. B Main idea of the first three paragraphs is introduced in line 43
2. B serene means calm and tranquil
3. C "the breeze stirred rather more briskly overhead and expedited.. expedite means sped up here
4. A lines 39-42
5. B the dragonfly is characterized as being persistent as is Simon with Lily (lines 46-47)
6. D lines 52-58 develop this idea as well
7. conjectured and surmised both mean to conclude without evidence
8. lines 57-61 the narrator continues to identify with the dragonfly who "did not settle anywhere...happily not"
9, C epitome and essence both mean main part here
1, B trifling means not important
2. H the narrator characterizes himself as ordinary and inexperienced
3. A lines 33-36
4. H the older sailors endured a system of seniority and want to impose that same system
6. H The narrator wants to be treated equally
8. F line 56 "inferiority" means laziness or weakness
10. G the narrator works hard and ultimately earns the respect of the older sailors
Monday, March 16th.
Hi everyone. I hope you and your families are well. This is all a bit surreal. Distance learning is something new to me, so I hope to learn new methods as we go forward.
I know you were scheduled for a vocabulary quiz and a test on The Great Gatsby. I will figure that out and keep you posted.
For today I want you to work on SAT 1 and ACT 1 in Sadlier Review 1-3. Submit your answers the posted time. We will discuss the passages tomorrow.
Vocabulary Quiz 15 is on Tuesday, 3/17/20. The homework must be submitted by Monday, 3/16/20.
The test on The Great Gatsby is on Monday, 3/16/20.
Vocabulary Quiz 14 is on Thursday, 3/5/20. The homework exercises are due on Tuesday, 3/4/20.
The extra credit vocabulary quiz on 10-12 is on Tuesday, 3/3/20.
Vocabulary Quiz 13 is on Tuesday, 2/25/20. The homework exercises must be submitted by Monday, 2/24/20.
For Wednesday, 2/26/20, read the rest of The Great Gatsby. There will be a quiz.
For Tuesday, 2/11/20, read chapters 4-6 of The Great Gatsby. There will be a quiz.
Vocabulary Quiz 12 is on Friday, 2/7/20. The homework exercises must be submitted by Thursday, 2/4/20.
For Friday, 1/31/20, read the first three chapters of The Great Gatsby. There will be a quiz.
The Vocabulary 11 Quiz is on Tuesday, 1/28/20. The homework must be submitted by 1/27/20.
The power point presentations on the 1920's are due on Wednesday, 1/29/20.
The test on Naturalism will be on Friday, 1/17/20.
Vocabulary Quiz 10 will be on Thursday, 1/16/20. The homework exercises must be submitted by 1/15/20.
On Monday, 1/13/20, there will be an in-class writing assignment.
Vocabulary Quiz 9 will be on Tuesday, 1/7/20. Make sure your homework is submitted by Monday, 1/6/20.
For Wednesday, 1/8/20, read "The Open Boat" by Stephen Crane (freededitorial pdf) and "The Sculptor's Funeral" (Willa Cather Archive pdf) by Willa Cather. There will be a quiz.
The extra credit Vocabulary 4-6 quiz is on Wednesday, 12/18/19.
For Tuesday, 12/17/19, read "To Build a Fire" (pdf) by Jack London. There will be a quiz.
The test on the Romantic Period is on Friday, 12/13/19. It includes "The Devil and Tom Walker", "Dr. Heidegger's Experiment", "The Minister's Black Veil" and "The Fall of the House of Usher".
Vocabulary Quiz 8 is on Thursday, 12/12/19. The homework exercises must be submitted by 12/11/19.
For Monday 12/9/19, read "The Fall of the House of Usher" by Edgar Allan Poe (pdf). There will be a quiz.
Vocabulary Quiz 7 is on Tuesday, 12/3/19. The homework exercises are due by 10/2/19.
For Monday, 11/25/19, read "Dr. Heidegger's Experiment" by Nathaniel Hawthorne. There will be a quiz.
For Tuesday, 11/19/19, read "First Harvest" (from the textbook) and "The Devil and Tom Walker" by Washington Irving. There will be a quiz on the story.
Vocabulary Quiz 6 is on Wednesday, 11/20/19. The homework exercises must be submitted by Tuesday, 11/19/19
The journal entries are due on Monday, 11/18/19. They must be typed, double-spaced, 12 font. Times Roman.
Vocabulary Quiz 5 will be on Friday, 11/8/19. The homework exercises must be submitted by Thursday, 11/7/19.
Vocabulary Quiz 4 will be on Tuesday, 10/29/19. The homework exercises must be submitted by Sunday, 10/27/19.
The test on the Puritan/Colonial time period will be on Monday, 10/28/19. The test includes background info about the time period; the excerpt from John Smith's General History; Anne Bradstreet's "Upon the Burning of Our House"; the excerpt from "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God; and The Crucible.
The "omitted" scene for The Crucible is due on Monday, 10/28/19.
There will be an extra credit vocabulary quiz on units 1-3 on Wednesday, 10/23/19.
Finish Act Iv of The Crucible for Monday, 10/21/19. There will be a quiz.
Vocabulary Quiz 3 will be on 10/17/19. The homework exercises must be submitted by 10/16/19.
For Tuesday, 10/15/19, read Act III of The Crucible. There will be a quiz.
There will be a quiz on Act II of The Crucible on Friday, 10/11/19.
The vocabulary quiz on Unit 2 is on Monday, 10/7/19. The homework exercises must be submitted by Sunday, 10/6/19.
There will be a quiz on Act I of The Crucible on Wednesday, 10/2/19.
Welcome to English 11! I hope you all have a great junior year.
There will be a quiz on the literary terms review on Monday, 9/16/19.
There will be a quiz on Vocabulary Unit 1 on 9/23/19. The homework exercises are due on 9/22/19.