Mrs. J Buccino
Many people aspire to learn how to paint, but few know where to begin. Painting touches the creative side of our personalities. Students have tangible expressions of their effort and imagination. The purpose of the course is to promote sensitivity to color interaction, advance technical and compositional skills, and provide a basis for creative growth and expression. This painting course is based on aesthetics, art history and the Elements of art and Principles of design. Our class answers questions like, where do I start? In this class we explore the basics of color, paint types, acrylic mediums, brushes, knives and accessories, Students learn how to set up a palette. They discover the history and basics of acrylic paint. It is my hope that through hard work and exploration students will find their own individual styles. Think of each project as a potential portfolio piece.
- Gain the knowledge, skill and confidence needed to improve your painting skills.
- Learn what constitutes good design, execute it, and speak about it.
- Be as innovative as you can within the confines of the assigned study and materials.
- Learn from each other……not just look at and appreciate someone else's efforts, but learn how to discuss what you see.
- Observe your subject matter.
- Learn various techniques, mediums and materials, as well as composition skills.
- Start to figure out your own personal style – it’s a life time goal!
- Get so excited about what's happening with your work that you forget the time, forget to eat, and sometimes even forget to sleep!
Projects are evaluated on design (the understanding of the project), craft (the physical product), and concept (idea behind the project). Leading up to each project is a variety of homework assignments including, sketches, research, supply gathering and written assignments. All projects and homework must be submitted in a specified manner and on time. Tests, classroom participation, attendance, preparation, and attitude toward the class, requirements, instructor, and fellow students also evaluate students.
*Late homework is not accepted.
*Students are responsible for homework, projects and class work missed when absent.
*Projects are downgraded one letter grade per day late until the fourth class, when a project is no longer acceptable.
* Students are responsible to register for a MySFP account and check e-mails daily.
* Parents/guardians are responsible to register and check Power school.* Power School is updated on a frequent basis. Students and parents have one week, from when a grade is posted, to dispute that grade. If more than one week passes the posted grade remains and cannot be changed.
* Assignments are collected, submitted, graded and posted on Google Classroom. Our class is PAINTING 2018- 9 Class code a36gn9.
Please be sure to join the class as soon as possible and check Google Classroom on a daily basis.
RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
- All the rules of St. Francis Prep are as published in the school calendar apply to this class. This includes dress code, lateness, absences and the honor code.
Rule 1: Attendance and Lateness
Once the bell sounds you are not permitted to leave the room for any reason unless, permission is granted by the teacher. Do not ask the teacher for permission to go to your locker - the answer will always be no.
- When the bell sounds for the completion of class no one is to leave their seats until the instructor dismisses the class.
- ***SFP SCHOOL POLICY - Class attendance at St. Francis Prep is a major priority. All students are required to complete all required work even if they are absent. If a student is absent from class 6 or more times for any given quarter, it is considered excessive absence. This results in a mandatory 5 point deduction from the quarterly grade. Please be advised classes missed due to lateness or early dismissal is included in this group.
Rule 2: Respect
- RESPECT is a major rule in this course. You must have respect for your overall work in appearance and attitude. You must also have respect for your fellow students and the instructor. Plus a respect for the classroom.
- Classrooms must be clean from all materials and garbage before class will be dismissed. There is to be no mistreatment or vandalizing to the classroom, furniture, equipment and materials. Each student will have a classroom job which counts towards the participation grade.
Rule 3: Electronic Devices
- IPads and cell phones are permitted in the classroom. On task classroom usage is allowed. Research, computer art programs, and programming assignments are required. Students are to be on task with their electronic devices – off task misusage is not permitted. Texting, music and games are not allowed. Failure to follow school policy results in detentions. Please see school calendar for cell phone rules and procedures. If a cell phone is visible or in use for a non related classroom activity, the following actions will take place - see Rule Breaking Procedure below.
- *You may use an I Pad to take class notes.
- Lunch is from 12:45-1:15 each cycle of the week. Senior Lunch.
- No throwing of ANYTHING.
- Do not get out of your seat without permission/Sit in your assigned seat.
- Do not touch the smart board without permission from the teacher.
- No Profanity or vulgar language. Teasing and bullying will not be tolerated.
- No leaving the room to go to your locker or anywhere else in the building, besides the restroom. DO NOT ASK ME TO GO TO YOUR LOCKER, THE ANSWER WILL ALWAYS BE NO.
- Rule Breaking Procedure
The rules are in place to ensure the productivity and safety of the students. A strict policy is enforced by Mrs. Buccino if a student breaks a rule.
1. First offence - a verbal warning
2. Second offence - student will speak to Mrs. Buccino after class
3. Third offence - a phone call home and detention
4. Fourth offence - a meeting with the dean and/or parents
****PLEASE NOTE – STUDENTS MAY NOT WORK ON PROJECTS IN THE ART WING DURING FREE PERIODS DUE TO FIRE CODES AND REGULATIONS. A DESIGNATED AREA HAS BEEN PROVIDED BY THE SCHOOL, IN THE MEZZANINE OF THE LIBRARY FOR STUDENTS TO WORK DURING FREE PERIODS FROM 7AM-4PM.
Quarter grades are determined by:
- Participating in class discussions
- Be prepared for class
- Working on task in class
- Keeping work area clean
Final grade is determined by:
Projects, Homework and class work grades are determined by:
100% = excellent and all completed.
99% = very good
89% = satisfactory
50% = poor, half completed.
25% = one quarter completed.
0% = missing
Communication with Parents and Students
Power School - Parents and students must register with Power School to keep track of student grades and progress. Please check grades on a regular basis, at least once a week.
MySFP- Students must register with MySFP for notes and communication with Mrs. Buccino. If you are registered with MySFP you will receive all class emails and text messages.
Google Classroom – Students are required to register for Google Classroom and join the Architecture class. Assignments, grades and class information will be posted on a daily basis.
Meetings - Mrs. Buccino is available to students for a one on one meeting to discuss grades and progress at anytime throughout the semester. Please see or e-mail Mrs. Buccino to schedule an appointment.
Class Web Site-This class has its own page on the St. Francis Prep Web site. Course outlines are available to view. (Please note – this year the class is moving away from the web site and using Google Classroom in its place – the class web site can still be used for class information and to email Mrs. Buccino )
E-Mail - Parents and students are welcome to e-mail Mrs. Buccino at any time regarding issues with this class. This is an excellent way for parents and students to check up on grades and missing assignments. firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone Calls - If any problems occur throughout the semester, feel free to speak with Mrs. Buccino. (718)423-8810 ext. 218. Please e-mail Mrs. Buccino to request a phone call. Mrs. Buccino will call you as soon as possible.
INSTAGRAM - - Please follow the Saint Francis Prep Art Department on Instagram. The art faculty updates Instagram on a daily basis with photos and happenings in the department. We capture special projects, class trips, art department events and all of the fun that goes on in the art wing! SFP_ART
*If you have any questions regarding this outline please contact Mrs. Buccino at extension #218 or email@example.com.
First Homework assignments….
- Read and sign (student and parent/guardian) course outline. Upload signatures onto google classroom.
- Discuss Blick supply sale with your parent(s)/guardian(s).
- Register at MySFP (Painting and Jr. Sr. Art classes)
- Parents and students sign and return portfolio sheet.
- Register for Google Classroom
- Provide a copy of your schedule.
Place two telephone numbers (cell and home) and e-mail addresses in the space provided so that you will have a way to contact classmates for missing assignments.
Program these numbers in you cell phone now.
Where can I find Mrs. Buccino?
1. 7:00 am – 8:30am art office or art wing
2. Mornings – 7:00am – 8:30am Art Office
2. During the day – see Mrs. Buccino’s schedule posted in every art class room or on the art office door.
3. Cor in Art Office
4. After school in art office or Wednesday’s X Period (W320)
SFP is ordering all supplies directly through an art company named Blick. They have put supply kits together for each class. Because we are ordering supplies in bulk the students receive a significant discount. This also saves students and parents the hassle of going to the overcrowded art supply stores. Below is a list of the supplies in the packet, prices and the savings amount.
A portfolio case is not included in the packet. One portfolio case should last each student years. Each student will only need one for all of their art classes. Blick will have a variety of portfolio cases to choose from at a discount. Please choose one 18”x24”. Leather or plastic is recommended. Please do not purchase a paper or cardboard portfolio, it will fall apart in several weeks.
If there is financial need, a student may borrow supplies and or a portfolio case for the semester. Please see Mrs.Buccino to obtain a supply/portfolio contract.
Bick will be coming directly to Saint Francis Prep. Thursday, Feb. 1st and Friday, Feb. 2nd. The art supply sale will take place in the Painting Studio from 7:00AM to 4:00PM. Please bring cash, credit card or a check made out directly to Blick for the exact amount plus tax. You may want to include or bring extra money to purchase a portfolio. Blick will have portfolios available for purchase. Your portfolio slot will be available to you on that day.
Blick Art store - http://www.dickblick.com/stores/newyork/carleplace/
168 B Glen Cove Road
Carle Place, NY 11514
Phone: (516) 248-1555
Store Hours: Mo-Sa: 10-8 Su: 11-7
Manufactures Retail Price - $390.94
Blick’s Saint Francis Prep Discounted Price - $141.20
- You must bring ALL supplies every class.
- Do not share supplies.
- Keep your supplies labeled.
- Keep your supplies in good condition, they will last for years!
- Keep receipts.
- Do not open supplies until inspected by Mrs. Buccino.
- If you have any questions or problems with purchasing materials please ask me for help!
*If financial assistance is needed at any time throughout this course please see Mrs. Buccino.
It is the student's responsibility to contact my office at extension #218, or see me after class to schedule an appointment to discuss grades or any other issue regarding the class.
I have read and understand this course outline.
Signature of Parent/Guardian Signature of Student
*If you have any questions regarding this outline please contact Mrs. Buccino at extension #218.
*Parents and students may email Mrs. Buccino at any time regarding questions pertaining to this class.
St. Francis Preparatory School Art Supplies
THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 1ST - 7am to 9pm
(BLICK WILL BE IN W320 FOR PARENTS ON PARENT TEACHER CONFERENCE NIGHT)
FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 2ND - 7am to 4pm
DRAWING STUDIO (W315) WEST TOP TOP
ALL CHECKS MUST BE MADE OUT TO BLICK ART SUPPLIES/ CASH/CREDIT CARD AND CHECKS ACCEPTED
KITS ARE LIMITED AND SOLD ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS