MECHANICAL DRAWING AND ARCHITECTURE
Z PERIOD, INSTRUCTOR MRS. BUCCINO
Architecture is dynamic. As societies change and develop, so does architecture. To evolve from the shelter of natural caves and portable tents made of animal skins, to the ornate structures of Athens, Greece. Architecture continues to challenge the limits of one's own imagination and its existing environment.
In this course, students learn the mechanical drawing skills required to design space that is functional yet pleasing to the creative spirit. Students study the history and development of major architectural styles of both past and present designs. They learn the basic principles and elements of architectural design. Students practice drafting techniques, architectural scale and, lettering. They understand the stages designing from start to finish. Students study mechanical drawing, layouts, elevations and floor plans. Later in the course the class uses an existing space to survey, draw and finally, redesignit.
Projects are evaluated on design (the understanding of the project), craft (the physical product), and concept (idea behind the project). Leading up to each project is a variety of homework assignments including, sketches, research, supply gathering and written assignments. All projects and homework must be submitted in a specified manner and on time. Classroom participation, attendance, preparation, and attitude toward the class, requirements, instructor, and fellow students also evaluate students.
*LATE WORK POLICY - Late Assignments -
PROJECTS - 5 points are deducted for each day late. Weekends/holidays and non-class meeting days are included in late days. Students may email Mrs. Buccino late assignments on days in which class does not meet.
HOMEWORK AND ALL OTHER ASSIGNMENTS - 10 points are deducted for each day late. Weekends/holidays and non-class meeting days are included in late days. Students may email Mrs. Buccino late assignments on days in which class does not meet.
* Students are responsible to register for a Remind account and check notifications daily.
* Students, and parents/guardians are responsible to register and check Power School.*Power School is updated on a frequent basis. Students and parents have one week, from when a grade is posted, to dispute that grade. If more than one week passes the posted grade remains and cannot be changed.
* Assignments are collected, submitted, graded and posted on Google Classroom. Our class is ARCHITECTURE 2020- 21 - Class code vyec93g.
Please be sure to join the class as soon as possible and check Google Classroom on a daily basis.
Rule 1: Attendance and Lateness
- This is a Z period class. It starts promptly at 7:45am. If a student is late, he/she must obtain a late pass upon entering the building and present it to the teacher. If a student is absent for Z period and arrives to SFP at 8:30 it is considered a cut from class. Chronic lateness and absentness will severely affect the students grade. Class attendance at St. Francis Prep is a major priority. All students are required to complete all required work even if they are absent.
- Once the bell sounds you are not permitted to leave the room for any reason unless, permission is granted by the teacher. Do not ask the teacher for permission to go to your locker.
- When the bell sounds for the completion of class no one is to leave their seats until the instructor dismisses the class.
- ***SFP SCHOOL - Class attendance at St. Francis Prep is a major priority. All students are required to complete all required work even if they are absent.
- Rule 2: Respect
- RESPECT is a major rule in this course. You must have respect for your overall work in appearance and attitude. You must also have respect for your fellow students and the instructor. Plus a respect for the classroom.
- Classrooms must be clean from all materials and garbage before class will be dismissed. There is to be no mistreatment or vandalizing to the classroom, furniture, equipment and materials.
Rule 3: Electronic Devices
- IPads and cell phones are permitted in the classroom. On task classroom usage is allowed. Research, computer art programs, and programming assignments are required. Students are to be on task with their electronic devices – off task misusage is not permitted. Texting, music and games are not allowed. Failure to follow school policy results in detentions. Please see school calendar for cell phone rules and procedures. If a cell phone is visible or in use for a non related classroom activity, the following actions will take place - see Rule Breaking Procedure below.
- Earbuds are not permitted for any reason.
- No throwing of ANYTHING.
- Do not get out of your seat without permission/Sit in your assigned seat.
- Do not touch the smart board or teacher computer without permission from the instructor.
- No Profanity or vulgar language. Teasing and bullying will not be tolerated.
- No leaving the room to go to your locker or anywhere else in the building, besides the restroom.
Rule Breaking Procedure
The rules are in place to ensure the productivity and safety of the students. A strict policy is enforced by Mrs. Buccino if a student breaks a rule.
1. First offence - a verbal warning
2. Second offence -speak to Mrs. Buccino after class
3. Third offence - a phone call home and detention
4. Fourth offence - a meeting with the dean and/or parents
****PLEASE NOTE – STUDENTS MAY NOT WORK ON PROJECTS IN THE ART WING DURING FREE PERIODS DUE TO FIRE CODES AND REGULATIONS. A DESIGNATED AREA HAS BEEN PROVIDED BY THE SCHOOL, IN THE MEZZANINE OF THE LIBRARY FOR STUDENTS TO WORK DURING FREE PERIODS FROM 7AM-4PM.
Quarter grades are determined by:
- Participating in class discussions
- Be prepared for class
- Working on task in class
- Keeping work area clean
Grade is determined by:
Project, homework and class work grades are determined by:
100% = excellent and all completed.
99% = very good
89% = satisfactory
50% = poor, half completed.
25% = one quarter completed.
0% = missing
Communication with Parents and Students
Power School - Parents and students must register with Power School to keep track of student grades and progress. Please check grades on a regular basis, at least once a week. Power School APP is recommended for a real-time notification of students grades.
Remind- Students must register with Remind for notes and communication with Mrs. Buccino. If you are registered with Remind you will receive all class emails and text messages. - text @84kfc9 to the number 81010 ORremind.com/join/84kfc9
Google Classroom – Students are required to register for Google Classroom and join the Ceramic Design class. Assignments, grades and class information will be posted on google classroom. Class code - oiontr
Meetings - Mrs. Buccino is available to students for a one on one meeting to discuss grades and progress at anytime throughout the semester. Please see or e-mail Mrs. Buccino to schedule an appointment.
E-Mail - Parents and students are welcome to e-mail Mrs. Buccino at any time regarding issues with this class. This is an excellent way for parents and students to check up on grades and missing assignments. [email protected]
Phone Calls - If any problems occur throughout the semester, feel free to speak with Mrs. Buccino. (718)423-8810 ext. 218. Please e-mail Mrs. Buccino to request a phone call. Mrs.Buccino will call you as soon as possible.
INSTAGRAM - - Please follow the Saint Francis Prep Art Department on Instagram. The art faculty updates Instagram on a daily basis with photos and happenings in the department. We capture special projects, class trips, art department events and all of the fun that happens in the art wing! SFP_ART
*If you have any questions regarding this outline please contact Mrs. Buccino at extension #218 or [email protected]
.First Homework assignments….
- Parents/Students sign course requirement sheet. Upload the signature pages onto google classroom.
- Discuss Blick supply sale with your parent(s)/guardian(s).
3.Sign portfolio sheetand return tomorrow.
Place two telephone numbers (cell and home) and e-mail addresses in the space provided so that you will have a way to contact classmates for missing assignments.
Home Number: __________________________
Cell Number: ____________________________
Program these numbers in you cell phone now.
Where can I find Mrs. Buccino?
1. 7:00 am – 8:30am art office or W322
2. Z period teaching Architecture (this class) – W322.
2. During the day – see Mrs. Buccino’s schedule posted in every art class room or on the art office door.
3. Cor in Art Office
4. After school in art office or Wednesday’s X Period (W320)
SFP is ordering all supplies directly through an art company named Blick. They have put supply kits together for each class. Because we are ordering supplies in bulk the students receive a significant discount. This also saves students and parents the hassle of going to the overcrowded art supply stores. Below is a list of the supplies in the packet, prices and the savings amount.
If there is financial need, a student may borrow supplies for the semester. Please see Mrs.Buccino to obtain a supply/portfolio contract.
Bick will be coming directly to Saint Francis Prep. TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY - FEB. 2 AND 3 FOR COHORT A,B AND D. THURSDAY AND FRIDAY FEB. 3 AND 4 FOR COHORT C FOR COHORT A,B AND D - The art supply sale will take place in W320 from 7:00AM to 3:00PM. Your classroom art teacher will take students to the sale on designated day to purchase supplies. Please bring a check made out directly to Blick for the exact amount .
Blick Art store - http://www.dickblick.com/stores/newyork/carleplace/
168 B Glen Cove Road
Carle Place, NY 11514
Phone: (516) 248-1555
Store Hours: Mo-Sa: 10-8 Su: 11-7
- You must bring ALL supplies every class.
- Do not share supplies.
- Keep your supplies labeled.
- Keep your supplies in good condition, they will last for years!
- Keep receipts.
- Do not open supplies until inspected by Mrs. Buccino.
- If you have any questions or problems with purchasing materials please ask Mrs. Buccino for help!
*If financial assistance is needed at any time throughout this course please see Mrs. Buccino.
It is the student's responsibility to contact my office at extension #218, or see me after class to schedule an appointment to discuss grades or any other issue regarding the class.
I have read and understand this course outline.
Signature of Parent/Guardian Signature of Student
*If you have any questions regarding this outline please contact Mrs. Buccino at extension #218.
*Parents and students may email Mrs. Buccino at any time regarding questions pertaining to this class.
St. Francis Preparatory SchoolArt Supplies –
OVER 50% DISCOUNT TO STUDENTS!
W320 - WEST TOP TOP
CHECKS ONLY!NO CREDIT CARDS OR CASH TO AVOID HAND TO HAND TRANSACTION.
CHECKS MUST BE MADE OUT FOR THE EXACT AMOUNT AND MADE OUT TO BLICK.
KITS ARE LIMITED AND SOLD ON A FIRST COME FIRST SERVE BASIS
CORORT A,B,D – SALE TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY - FEB. 2 AND 3 – DURING CLASS TIME.
COHORT C ONLY – SALE AFTER SCHOOL THURSDAY AND FRIDAY – FEB. 3 AND 4 – 3:30-5PM – BY APPOINTMENT ONLY – YOU MUST FILL OUT A GOOGLE FORM FOR ENTRY -
IF YOU DO DOT PURCHASE YOUR KIT DURING THE ABOVE DATES YOU WILL HAVE TO ARRANGE SHIPPING WITH THE BLICK STORE FOR AN ADDITIONAL $15.00 CHARGE. BLICK – CARLE PLACE - Phone: (516) 248-1555