Glass Fusion/Jewelry Design
This new course is designed to give the student an introduction to fused glass. Students make their own decisions about how to build projects to be fired at Fused Finery. They learn about glass compatibility, the basics of firing, types of glass available, simple glass cutting, and glass layer design. Safety, kiln firing, glass cutting, and cold working techniques are covered. We use Bullseye glass COE 90 and other equipment to cut, grind, and shape glass.Glass fusing is an exciting and liberating glass art which enables artists to create glass designs by fusing compatible glass pieces together in a kiln. In this class students have the opportunity to learn the basics of glass fusing, glass compatibility, design processes, glass cutting and shaping skills; as well as cleaning and layering techniques, and some basic kiln programming. They learn to hand-fabricate jewelry. Guided projects introduce students to basic jewelry making techniques including cutting, grinding, stamping, surface texturing, soldering, polishing, and finishing. They learn to design and produce their own creations, making earrings, glass plates, pendants and other pieces. Students make a complete jewelry line, professionally photograph and package it. They learn about glass materials and firing techniques. In addition to jewelry, students create multiple glass sheet paintings and sculptures.
Projects are evaluated on design (the understanding of the project), craft (the physical product), and concept (idea behind the project). Leading up to each project is a variety of homework assignments including, sketches, research, supply gathering and written assignments. All projects and homework must be submitted in a specified manner and on time. Classroom participation, attendance, preparation, and attitude toward the class, requirements, instructor, and fellow students also evaluate students.
*Students are responsible for homework, projects and class work missed whenabsent.
*LATE WORK POLICY - Late Assignments -
PROJECTS - 5 points are deducted for each day late. Weekends/holidays and non-class meeting days are included in late days. Students may email Mrs. Buccino late assignments on days in which class does not meet.
HOMEWORK AND ALL OTHER ASSIGNMENTS - 10 points are deducted for each day late. Weekends/holidays and non-class meeting days are included in late days. Students may email Mrs. Buccino late assignments on days in which class does not meet.
* Students are responsible to register for a Remind account and check notifications daily.
* Students,and parents/guardians are responsible to register and check Power School.*Power School is updated on a frequent basis. Students and parents have one week, from when a grade is posted, to dispute that grade. If more than one week passes the posted grade remains and cannot be changed.
* Assignments are collected, submitted, graded and posted on Google Classroom.
Please be sure to join the class as soon as possible and check Google Classroom on a daily basis.
RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
- All the rules of St. Francis Prep are as published in the school calendar apply to this class. This includes dress code, lateness, absences and the honor code.
Rule 1: Attendance and Lateness
- Once the bell sounds you are not permitted to leave the room for any reason unless, permission is granted by the teacher. Do not ask the teacher for permission to go to your locker.
- When the bell sounds for the completion of class no one is to leave their seats until the instructor dismisses the class.
- ***SFP SCHOOL - Class attendance at St. Francis Prep is a major priority. All students are required to complete all required work even if they are absent.
- Rule 2: Respect
- RESPECT is a major rule in this course. You must have respect for your overall work in appearance and attitude. You must also have respect for your fellow students and the instructor. Plus a respect for the classroom.
- Classrooms must be clean from all materials and garbage before class will be dismissed. There is to be no mistreatment or vandalizing to the classroom, furniture, equipment and materials.
Rule 3: Electronic Devices
- This is a Z period class. It starts promptly at 7:45am. If a student is late, he/she must obtain a late pass upon entering the building and present it to the teacher. If a student is absent for Z period and arrives to SFP at 8:30 it is considered a cut from class. Chronic lateness and absentness will severely affect the students grade. Class attendance at St. Francis Prep is a major priority. All students are required to complete all required work even if they are absent.
- IPads and cell phones are permitted in the classroom. On task classroom usage is allowed. Research, computer art programs, and programming assignments are required. Students are to be on task with their electronic devices – off task misusage is not permitted. Texting, music and games are not allowed. Failure to follow school policy results in detentions. Please see school calendar for cell phone rules and procedures. If a cell phone is visible or in use for a non related classroom activity, the following actions will take place - see Rule Breaking Procedure below.
- Earbuds are not permitted for any reason.
- Upon entering the classroom place all of your bags and belongings in the front of the classroom on the floor. This includes all cell phones. Cell phones must be turned off.
Glass StudioSafety Rules –
- Student must wear safety equipment at all times when in the classroom, goggles, gloves and masks.
- No friends are allowed in the glass studio from outside the class! No one, other than current glass student, is permitted to use the studio any time.
- Students are expected to maintain the studio in a clean and professional manner. Each person is responsible for the glass station they have worked on.
- Expensive equipment is used throughout the course. If any equipment is damaged due to a student’s neglect or inappropriate behavior, he/she will be held responsible.
- No throwing of ANYTHING.
- Do not get out of your seat without permission/Sit in your assigned seat.
- Do not touch the smart board or teacher computer without permission from the instructor.
- No Profanity or vulgar language. Teasing and bullying will not be tolerated.
- No leaving the room to go to your locker or anywhere else in the building, besides the restroom.
Rule Breaking Procedure
The rules are in place to ensure the productivity and safety of the students. A strict policy is enforced by Mrs. Buccino if a student breaks a rule.
1. First offence - a verbal warning
2. Second offence -speak to Mrs. Buccino after class
3. Third offence - a phone call home and detention
4. Fourth offence - a meeting with the dean and/or parents
****PLEASE NOTE – STUDENTS MAY NOT WORK ON PROJECTS IN THE ART WING DURING FREE PERIODS DUE TO FIRE CODES AND REGULATIONS. A DESIGNATED AREA HAS BEEN PROVIDED BY THE SCHOOL, IN THE MEZZANINE OF THE LIBRARY FOR STUDENTS TO WORK DURING FREE PERIODS FROM 7AM-4PM.
Quarter grades are determined by:
- Participating in class discussions
- Be prepared for class
- Working on task in class
- Keeping work area clean
Grade is determined by:
Homework, project and class work grades are determined by:
100% = excellent all completed.
99% = very good
89% = satisfactory
50% = poor, half completed.
25% = one quarter completed.
0% = missing
Communication with Parents and Students
Power School - Parents and students must register with Power School to keep track of student grades and progress. Please check grades on a regular basis, at least once a week.Power School APP is recommended for a real-time notification of students grades.
Remind- Students must register with Remind for notes and communication with Mrs. Buccino. If you are registered with Remind you will receive all class emails and text messages.- text @784c33to the number 81010 https://www.remind.com/join/784c33
Google Classroom – Students are required to register for Google Classroom and join the Ceramic Design class. Assignments, grades and class information will be posted on google classroom.
Class code – vflenwt
Meetings - Mrs. Buccino is available to students for a one on one meeting to discuss grades and progress at anytime throughout the semester. Please see or e-mail Mrs. Buccino to schedule an appointment.
E-Mail - Parents and students are welcome to e-mail Mrs. Buccino at any time regarding issues with this class. This is an excellent way for parents and students to check up on grades and missing assignments. [email protected]
Phone Calls - If any problems occur throughout the semester, feel free to speak with Mrs. Buccino. (718)423-8810 ext. 218. Please e-mail Mrs. Buccino to request a phone call. Mrs.Buccino will call you as soon as possible.
INSTAGRAM - - Please follow the Saint Francis Prep Art Department on Instagram. The art faculty updates Instagram on a daily basis with photos and happenings in the department. We capture special projects, class trips, art department events and all of the fun that happens in the art wing!SFP_ART
*If you have any questions regarding this outline please contact Mrs. Buccino at extension #218 or [email protected]
First Homework assignments….
- Read and sign (student and parent/guardian) course outline in both designated places.Upload the signature page onto google classroom.
- Supplies due MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 20 th,$25.00 CHECK MADE OUT TO SAINT FRANCIS PREP.
Place two telephone numbers (cell and home) and e-mail addresses in the space provided so that you will have a way to contact classmates for missing assignments.
Program these numbers in you cell phone now.
Where can I find Mrs. Buccino?
1. 7:00 am – 8:30am W320 – Glass Fusion Class Z Period
2. Morning – 8:30AM – Art Office
2. During the day – see Mrs. Buccino’s schedule posted in every art class room or on the art office door.
3. Cor in Art Office
4. After school in art office or Wednesday X Period (W320)
$25.00 towards all Bullseye glass, stringers, frit, sterling silver findings, jewelry boxes.
*If financial assistance is needed at any time throughout this course please see Mrs. Buccino.
It is the student's responsibility to contact my office at extension #218, or see me after class to schedule an appointment to discuss grades or any other issue regarding the class.
I have read and understand this course outline.
Signature of Parent/Guardian Signature of Student
*If you have any questions regarding this outline please contact Mrs. Buccino at extension #218.
*Parents and students may email Mrs. Buccino at any time regarding questions pertaining to this class.