This course is designed for advanced art students who have completed Two Dimensional Design. Students learn to create expressive designs and communicate their own ideas. With hard work, they gain the knowledge and experience necessary to achieve acceptance to a major art program. This course is highly diversified. Students interpret designs according to personal taste, subject, history, materials, and the principles of design. They also use the elements of art to create conceptual works.
*****PLEASE NOTE THIS COURSE QUALIFIES FOR THREE COLLEGE CREDITS THROUGH SAINT JOHN’S UNIVERSITY – PLEASE SEE THE COLLEGE CREDIT INFO LINK ON THE SFP CLASS WEP PAGE AND REGISTER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
Criticism and Aesthetics – The class will focus on the meaning of art criticism and aesthetics. Discussions include the history of photography compared to the works completed in class. Students learn how photography influences the world and vice versa.
The Digital SLR Camera – Students understand how each part of a digital camera works. Learning this helps students to create conceptual images.
Developing and Processing – This course teaches students how to use Adobe Photoshop to perform many different image processing techniques. Students learn how to use several tools for selecting parts of images, and move, duplicate and resize images. They learn to use layers, layer effects, filters, painting and blending, and color modification. Students learn how to create images of different formats for different applications. They also complete a project using traditional dark room developing.
Presentation – Students learn how to professionally present their artwork. At the completion of the semester each student presents a portfolio of work to the teacher. They have both a digital, physical portfolio and photo web site.
At the completion of the course students will…
- have a basic understanding of photography vocabulary
- have knowledge of the digital camera
- understand Adobe Photoshop
- have a working knowledge of the history of photography
- think creatively and conceptually
- use history, materials, principles of design, and the elements of art to develop an aesthetically pleasing portfolio of work.
- critique photography according to aesthetics
Projects are evaluated on design (the understanding of the project), craft (the physical product), and concept (idea behind the project). Leading up to each project is a variety of homework assignments including, sketches, research, supply gathering and written assignments. All projects and homework must be submitted in a specified manner and on time. Tests, classroom participation, attendance, preparation, and attitude toward the class, requirements, instructor, and fellow students evaluate students.
- Students are responsible for homework, projects and class work missed when absent.
- *LATE WORK POLICY - Late Assignments -
PROJECTS - 5 points are deducted for each day late. Weekends/holidays and non-class meeting days are included in late days. Students may email Mrs. Buccino late assignments on days in which class does not meet.
HOMEWORK AND ALL OTHER ASSIGNMENTS - 10 points are deducted for each day late. Weekends/holidays and non-class meeting days are included in late days. Students may email Mrs. Buccino late assignments on days in which class does not meet.
- Students and parents/guardians are responsible to register and check Power school. Power School is updated on a frequent basis. Students and parents have one week, from when a grade is posted, to dispute that grade. If more than one week passes the posted grade remains and cannot be changed. Power School APP is recommended for a real-time notification of students grades.
- Assignments are collected, submitted, graded and posted on Google Classroom. Please be sure to join the class as soon as possible and check Google Classroom on a daily basis.
Our class code is - DIGITAL PHOTOGRAPHY
Class code krbaksd
RULES AND REQUIREMENTS
- All the rules of St. Francis Prep are as published in the school calendar apply to this class. This includes dress code, lateness, absences and the honor code.
- Rule 1: Attendance and Lateness
- Once the bell sounds you are not permitted to leave the room for any reason unless, permission is granted by the teacher. Do not ask the teacher for permission to go to your locker.
- SFP SCHOOL POLICY - Class attendance at St. Francis Prep is a major priority. All students are required to complete all required work even if they are absent.
- When the bell sounds for the completion of class no one is to leave their seats until the instructor dismisses the class.
- Rule 2: Respect
- RESPECT is a major rule in this course. You must have respect for your overall work in appearance and attitude. You must also have respect for your fellow students and the instructor. Plus a respect for the classroom.
- Classrooms must be clean from all materials and garbage before class will be dismissed. There is to be no mistreatment or vandalizing to the classroom, furniture, equipment and materials.
- Rule 3: Electronic Devices
- IPads and cell phones are permitted in the classroom. On task classroom usage is allowed. Research, computer art programs, and programming assignments are required. Students are to be on task with their electronic devices – off task misusage is not permitted. Texting, music and games are not allowed. Failure to follow school policy results in detentions. Please see school calendar for cell phone rules and procedures. If a cell phone is visible or in use for a non related classroom activity, the following actions will take place - see Rule Breaking Procedure below.
- Ear buds are not permitted for any reason.
- Classroom Rules
- No throwing of ANYTHING.
- Do not get out of your seat without permission/Sit in your assigned seat.
- Do not touch the smart board without permission from the teacher.
- No Profanity or vulgar language. Teasing and bullying will not be tolerated.
- No leaving the room to go to your locker or anywhere else in the building, besides the restroom.
- Rule Breaking Procedure
The rules are in place to ensure the productivity and safety of the students. A strict policy is enforced by Mrs. Buccino if a student breaks a rule.
1. First offence - a verbal warning
2. Second offence - speak to Mrs. Buccino after class
3. Third offence - phone call home and detention
4. Fourth offence - meeting with the dean and/or parents
****PLEASE NOTE – STUDENTS MAY NOT WORK ON PROJECTS IN THE ART WING DURING FREE PERIODS DUE TO FIRE CODES AND REGULATIONS. A DESIGNATED AREA HAS BEEN PROVIDED BY THE SCHOOL, IN THE MEZZANINE OF THE LIBRARY FOR STUDENTS TO WORK DURING FREE PERIODS FROM 7AM-4PM.
Computer Lab Rules –
A large portion of the computer work is completed on the students own time. No student may be in the computer lab without permission.
- No friends are allowed in the computer lab from outside the photo classes! Any student who brings friends into the lab will lose their lab for the remainder of the course. No one, other than current photo students, is permitted to use the computer lab any time.
- Students are expected to maintain the computer lab in a clean and professional manner.
- Notify teacher of needed repairs/broken equipment.
- Each person is responsible for the station they have worked on.
- Expensive equipment is used throughout the course. If any equipment is damaged due to a student’s neglect or inappropriate behavior, he/she will be held responsible.
Quarter grades are determined by:
- Participating in class discussions
- Be prepared for class
- Working on task in class
- Keeping work area clean
Grade is determined by:
Projects and Homework are determined by:
100% = excellent
99% - 90% = very good
89% - 80% = satisfactory
79% - 75% = poor
Below 74% - = incomplete
0% = missing homework
Communication with Parents and Students
- Power School - Parents and students must register with Power School to keep track of student grades and progress. Please check grades on a regular basis, at least once a week. Power School APP is recommended for a real-time notification of students grades.
ü Remind- Students must register with Remind for notes and communication with Mrs. Buccino. If you are registered with Remind you will receive all class emails and text messages. Text @8bed8g to the number 81010
Google Classroom – Students are required to register for Google Classroom and join the Digital Photography class. Assignments, grades and class information will be posted. Class code krbaksd
- Meetings - Mrs. Buccino is available to students for a one on one meeting to discuss grades and progress at anytime throughout the semester. Please see or e-mail Mrs. Buccino to schedule an appointment.
- E-Mail - Parents and students are welcome to e-mail Mrs. Buccino at any time regarding issues with this class. This is an excellent way for parents and students to check up on grades and missing assignments. [email protected]
- Phone Calls - If any problems occur throughout the semester, feel free to speak with Mrs. Buccino. (718)423-8810 ext. 218. Please e-mail Mrs. Buccino to request a phone call. Mrs. Buccino will call you as soon as possible.
SFP_ART INSTAGRAM - - Please follow the Saint Francis Prep Art Department on Instagram. The art faculty updates Instagram on a daily basis with photos and happenings in the department. We capture special projects, class trips, art department events and all of the fun that happens in the art wing!
*If you have any questions regarding this outline please contact Mrs. Buccino at extension #218 or [email protected].
SJU College Credit:
THIS COURSE QUALIFIES FOR THREE COLLEGE CREDITS THROUGH SAINT JOHN’S UNIVERSITY – PLEASE SEE THE COLLEGE CREDIT INFO LINK ON THE SFP CLASS WEP PAGE AND REGISTER AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!
At times a graduate may need to submit the course outline to their attending college for further review of credit earned as "college credit" in high school".
(Save receipts and packaging in case you need to return!)
USB Storage device (Use this USB specifically for Digital Photo class – do not share it with other subjects.) – CAN USE GOOGLE DRIVE.
$15 Paper and Ink – this covers all high quality inks and premium papers for the duration of the entire semester. Students are permitted to print unlimited quantities of photos for their personal prints and portfolios.
Please make $15.00 check out to Saint Francis Prep or cash by Monday, Septmber 20TH.
- SLR Digital camera with lens
- The Saint Francis Prep Art Department has several Digital SLR cameras to lend students. If you are interested in borrowing one for the semester please speak to Mrs. Buccino.
- Camera bag (Recommended)
- Sky filter (Recommended - must bring camera with you to have specific lens size!!!)
DSLR Digital camera with lens $200-$700 (The Saint Francis Prep Art Department has Digital SLR cameras to lend students if they do not have one of their own).
SFP ART DEPARTMENT USES - CANON T7 EOS REBEL DSLR CAMERA
THIS IS A GOOD DSLR BEGINNER TO INTERMEDIATE LEVEL CAMERA.
*If financial assistance is needed at any time throughout this course please see Mrs. Buccino.
**Be a wise consumer when shopping for the above. Do a bit of comparison-shopping. Do not purchase the first thing you see, buy middle priced quality if possible. Check web sites prior to shopping compare prices and look for sales. Present your student ID when paying for merchandise.
**If you have any questions or problems with purchasing materials please ask For help!
You do not have to buy all materials at once and can spread out the cost over the semester, ask me to inform you when you will need specific materials.
CAMERA RETAIL STORE:
B&H Photo 420 Ninth Ave. (212) 444-6746 (closed Sat.)
- I highly recommend B&H refurbished cameras – they are an excellent deal and pretty much brand new!!!!Check out B&H web site refurbished line. We ordered all of the schools web site from here and they were good and inexpensive!
Canon EOS Rebel T7 DSLR Camera Bundle with Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 is II Lens + 2pc SanDisk 32GB Memory Cards + Accessory Kit
First Homework assignments….
- Read and sign (student and parent/guardian) course outline, UPLOAD THE SIGNATURE PAGE ONTO GOOGLE CLASSROOM.
- Supplies due MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 20TH
- Bring in your camera and manual, if you are using your own camera.
Place two telephone numbers (cell and home) and e-mail addresses in the space provided so that you will have a way to contact classmates for missing assignments.
Program these numbers in you cell phone now.
Where can I find Mrs. Buccino?
1. 7:00 am – 8:30am W320 – Glass Fusion Class / Z Period
2. Morning – 8:30AM – Art Office
2. During the day – see Mrs. Buccino’s schedule posted in every art class room or on the art office door.
3. Cor in Art Office
4. After school in art office or Wednesday X Period (W320)
It is the student's responsibility to contact my office at extension #218, or see me after class to schedule an appointment to discuss grades or any other issue regarding the class.
I have read and understand this course outline.
Signature of Parent/Guardian Signature of Student
*If you have any questions regarding this outline please contact Mrs. Buccino at extension #218.
*Parents and students may email Mrs. Buccino at any time regarding questions pertaining to this class.