Earth Science Regents Course 2020-2021
St. Francis Preparatory School Teacher: Ms. Franxhi
Course Title: Earth Science Email: [email protected]
Textbook: Pearson Earth Science E-Textbook (online)
Review Book : Prentice Hall Earth Science Review Book (purchased from the SFP Bookstore)
Course Objective: Students will develop an understanding of concepts related to Earth
Science in preparation for the NYS Earth Science Regents Examination and will develop the ability to apply these science concepts in the classroom, in the laboratory, and in life.
1. A notebook with dividers (Classwork [Notes and class assignment], Handouts, Homework, Vocabulary, Current Lab Packets/Research/reports, Quizzes/Exam, and Lab Manual)
2. Pencils and pens (blue or black ink only)
3. Scientific Calculator (Not Graphing)
4. Charged iPad
Class Rules and Guidelines:
- Respect: Foremost, we are to respect one another, which mean our teacher, our peers, and ourselves. All rules posted in the school calendar must be followed.
- Preparedness/Materials: All students are to be seated in their seats, prepared with all required supplies, and ready to work when the bell rings. Failure to do so will result in a grade deduction. Lateness to class will result in detention. Note: Do not discard materials. Hand-outs, tests, etc. from class as they will likely be needed to prepare for the regents exam. Late homework (aside from legal, excused absence from class) will not be accepted.
- Cutting: Cutting classes will not be tolerated and will be subject to a significant grade deduction and parent notification; there are NO exceptions to this rule.
- Disruptions/Distractions: Disruptions to the class, violation of the SFP dress code, or possession of cell phones, pagers, ipods, or other potentially distracting devices during class may result in detention, grade deductions, or further disciplinary action.
- Laboratory Conduct: Food and drinks are not permitted in the lab area. Each student must complete at least 15 satisfactory lab reports as mandated by New York State in order to take the Earth Science Regents Exam. Material covered in the lab will be included in tests and quizzes. Lab activities must be printed out prior to reporting to lab, and all lab reports must be typed unless other instructions are given. They must be stapled and include an attached cover page, (which includes your name, class period, the date, and title of the lab). All sources must be cited APA format. Most lab reports will be submitted electronically via TURNITIN.COM or they will not receive credit. Each lab is given a full cycle to complete. Labs submitted after the cycle will be reduced to a grade of 55. Labs submitted after the quarter will only receive NYS Regents credit and not a point value in the cumulative grade point average. Appropriate conduct is imperative in the laboratory.
- Absenteeism and Assignments: Class attendance at St. Francis Prep is a major priority. All students are required to complete all required work even if they are absent. Students who are absent require a pass. Class work and homework are due on announced dates; late homework assignments will NOT be accepted for credit. If you are absent from class, you are still responsible for all assignments due, missed class work, exams, and/ or lab work. If a student is absent without legitimate documentation during an exam, he or she will be given a zero if arrangements to make it up in a timely manner are not made. Excessive, unexcused student absence may result in further academic consequences.
- Extra Help: Please keep in mind that extra help will be readily available to all students in need. It is the student’s responsibility to seek help and inform the teacher that he or she will be attending. A regular, weekly time slot will be established.
- Electronic Devices: Ms. Franxhi must approve the use of any electronic device used in class or lab. Improper use of electronics in class, such as the viewing of video's, playing games or any off task use is strictly prohibited. Under NO circumstances may a student record or photograph the teacher. See SFP web page for details. https://www.sfponline.org/docs/16-17StudentiPadAgreements.pdf. Any violation of the policy or inappropriate use will automatically result in academic/disciplinary action.
- Honor Code: You are expected to adhere to all the provisions listed in the Honor Code. Cheating in any manner will not be tolerated. Anyone in violation of the Honor Code is subject to severe academic consequences as outlined in the school calendar.
- Communication: Please allow a reasonable time for a response especially when sending e-mails late at night or on weekends, I will do my best to get back to you as soon as possible. Parents/guardians are free to take advantage of PowerSchool’s parent portal Please note that Google Classroom (NOT the school webpage) will also be used where assignments and class announcements will be conveyed. Parents/guardians must be aware of this.
Course Grading Policy - Each quarter counts as 22.5% of the final grade; Regents Exam comprises the remaining 10%. ***As per the Science Department Policy, no extra credit assignments or points will be given.**
Quarterly Grade Breakdown:
- Exams/Quizzes- 35%
- Laboratory Reports 25%
- Class work/homework- 35%
- Preparedness- 5%
I look forward to a successful year. My office is W106A and can be reached at extension 231.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
This contract assures that this information has been read and the Earth Science Course Description/Rules/Syllabus is understood by both students and parents/guardians.
Student’s printed name_______________________________________ ID#_________________
Class Period_____________________ Today’s Date___________
Student Signature: Parent/guardian Signature: