Requirements for Foreign Language Honor Society
Foreign Language Honor Society Requirements
(Effective November 2018)
Requirements for the Foreign Language Honor Society
Application, essay, proof of cultural event, service hours and fees due May 3rd, 2019.
A Google Document will be posted on the Foreign Language Website to be completed for the application no later than March 31st.
Membership in the Foreign Language Honor Society is open to those students who have displayed excellence in the study of languages other than English.
Academic Requirements for the Foreign Language Honor Society
- Cumulative 4.0 (A+)(97%) GPA in Foreign Language courses (NO ROUNDING UP)
- Cumulative 4.0 (A)(95%) GPA in Foreign Language Honors courses(NO ROUNDING UP)
- Cumulative 3.3 (B+)(88%) GPA overall (NO ROUNDING UP)
- currently enrolled in a level 3 or 4, or Spanish II Advanced course
The Foreign Language Honor Society member must display the following in the Foreign Language classroom:
- A sincere interest and enthusiasm for language learning by paying attention, taking notes, actively listening, asking and responding to questions, and participating in class discussions.
- A sincere appreciation for other cultures.
- An open-mind and acceptance of cultural differences.
- A concern for what is happening in the world.
- Personal Qualities
- Leadership qualities by initiating discussions, developing their own ideas and perspectives, expressing positive thoughts and exhibits empathy towards others, accepting responsibility by taking notes, being organized, completing assignments and reviewing notes daily.
- A positive role model by communicating and collaborating with everyone, show respect and concern for others, be knowledgeable and well rounded, have humility and willingness to admit mistakes.
All students must complete 10 hours of service associated to the language.
Some examples are:
Language club participation
Walks such as the Breast Cancer Walk with a Language club
Parades such as Christopher Columbus
Helping with a club (international night, charity events, etc.)
Tutoring in the language taken in class.
Helping the Foreign Language Department such as helping them with Open House, Foreign Language Honor Society Induction Ceremony, etc.
Cultural Event and Personal Essay
All students must attend a Cultural event such as a movie (in the target language), concerts, plays, museums, and operas. If you need more information, please ask your teacher.
Once a cultural event has been visited, students must write and submit the essay (introduction, body and conclusion) and proof of attendance to the cultural event with the application.
All students must type the essay in the target language.
The use of translators will result in your disqualification from the FLHS.
There will be a membership fee for Foreign Language Inductees. The membership fee includes the certificate, cord, and fees associated with the event.
Cost of Membership Fee $20 and must be provided with application.
Once the application and fee has been provided, names will be posted on the website.