Requirements for World Language Honor Society
World Languages Honor Society
(Effective October 30th, 2020)
Requirements for the World Languages Honor Society
Application, essay, proof of Cultural Event, and speaking video are due no later than February 25th, 2021.
No CASH will be accepted. All checks must be made out to St. Francis Preparatory School. Checks must be given to your teacher in person no later than February 25th, 2021.
A Google Document will be posted on the World Language Website to be completed for the application. It will also be available on Google Classroom (code: angy7dr).
All applicants MUST join the Google Classroom. Please only join if you are submitting an application.
Membership in the World Languages Honor Society is open to those students who have displayed excellence in the study of languages other than English.
1. ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS:
- Cumulative 4.0 (A+) (97%) GPA in Foreign Language courses (NO ROUNDING UP)
- Cumulative 4.0 (A) (95%) GPA in Foreign Language Honors courses(NO ROUNDING UP)
- Cumulative 3.3 (B+) (88%) GPA overall (NO ROUNDING UP)
- currently enrolled in a level 3 or 4, or Spanish II Advanced course
2. WITHIN THE LANGUAGE CLASSROOM:
Sincere interest and enthusiasm for language learning by paying attention, taking notes, actively listening, asking and responding to questions, and participating in class discussions.
A sincere appreciation for other cultures.
An open mind and acceptance of cultural differences.
A concern for what is happening in the world.
- Personal Qualities
Leadership qualities by initiating discussions, developing their own ideas and perspectives, expressing positive thoughts, exhibiting empathy towards others, and accepting responsibility in the classroom.
A positive role model by communicating and collaborating with everyone, showing respect and concern for others, being knowledgeable and well rounded.
3. CULTURAL ESSAY REQUIREMENT:
Students must write a research paper about a specific country, region, or territory where the language studied is spoken, using the following format:
- Heading: (name and language)
- One paragraph including The name of the place chosen, why you are researching it, and where it’s located. (present tense)
- Two paragraphs about general information, such as customs, currency, holidays, capital, peoples, language spoken, flag and importance, notable people, politics/government, religion, industries, etc (present tense)
- One paragraph about food and drink (present tense)
- One paragraph about the history (past and imperfect tenses)
- One paragraph including What information you find interesting or important from your research (present tense)
*All essays must be typed and double spaced.
*All essays must include a separate Works Cited page.
*All students must type the essay in the target language.
4. CULTURAL SPEAKING VIDEO PRESENTATION:
*Students must choose one of the following options:
- Cooking instructional video in the target language. Must include the background of the dish. The video should be between 3-5 minutes long.
- Cultural artifact show and tell. Must be in the target language. The video should be between 3-5 minutes long.
- Attend a virtual museum tour, concert, or show in the target language.
If you need more information, please ask your teacher.
The use of translators in any part of the application will result in your disqualification from the WLHS.
There will be a membership fee for World Languages Inductees. The membership fee includes the certificate, cord, and fees associated with the event.
The cost of Membership Fee $25 and must be provided for application to be considered.
No cash will be accepted. Checks must be made out to St. Francis Preparatory School.
Once the application and fee have been provided, selected inductees’ names will be posted on the website.