|Campus Ministry Main Site|
|Moderator: Mr. Sempowich|
The retreat program is an essential part of our efforts of Christian and Franciscan formation at Saint Francis Prep. Through participating in a retreat, students are able to deepen both their personal spirituality as well as their friendships with classmates. Retreats are offered at the Sophomore, Junior and Senior grade levels. The Freshmen participate in an introduction to Campus Ministry and the life of Saint Francis of Assisi. Most of the off-campus retreats take place at the Franciscan Retreat Center called Mount Alvernia located on the Centerport Harbor. These 13 beautiful, waterfront and wooded acres continue to provide a relaxing environment for youth from the city since its founding in 1886.
Although there is a cost for each retreat, financial aid is available. Money should never prohibit a student from participating in a Campus Ministry activity!
Led by student retreat leaders, the Sophomore retreat focuses on "Being True Self, Others, & God." Each Sophomore religion class spends the day at Camp Alvernia experiencing a variety of large group and small group activities, prayer and talks given by the retreat leaders. Students also get time to enjoy the grounds of the retreat center. Be sure to bring a basketball, handball, football or Frisbee. If the weather looks bad, bring your favorite board game or a deck of cards.
Attendance is mandatory; absentees are rescheduled for a later retreat.
$25.00 includes transportation and use of the facilities.
Sophomores must bring their own lunch!!!
"Journeys": Junior Overnight-This new program is designed for juniors and will occur at the beautiful Holy Family Passionist Retreat Center in West Hartford, CT. Centered on the theme of "journeying," students will take time to reflect, discuss, and pray about their life and the many new responsibilities and pressures associated with junior year.
Students will depart at 12:00 p.m., Wednesday, Nov. 16th and return in the afternoon on Friday, Nov. 18th. The cost of this retreat is only $80.00 since the school helps with the cost. Financial aid is available.
Service Retreat- Students will spend the school day doing direct service according to local need. There are a number of options for service sites including Queen of Peace Nursing Home, The Inn Soup Kitchen and St. Francis Table. This day long retreat will include prayer and reflection.
First Semester Time & Dates: 8:20 a.m.– 2:40 p.m.
Focused on the theme of "Foundations," this day away gives Seniors time to reflect on your four years of high school and look forward to the life after graduation. Take some time to look at who you have become, discuss the upcoming changes in your life and examine what role God and faith have played or will play in your life.
Optional retreat; only 75 spots available (25 each); sign-ups in Campus Ministry office; first come, first served. $25.00 includes transportation, lunch, and use of the facilities.
Click HERE to receive a permission slip and application.
General Guidelines for Retreat
- All school rules and policies are in effect.
- All retreat sites are non-smoking facilities.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes that you don’t mind getting dirty. NOTE: Follow the school guidelines for dress down, if you are inappropriately dressed, you will not be allowed to attend the retreat.
- Meet buses and chaperones outside East bottom at 8:00 a.m. near the end of the driveway.
- Please bring: a good attitude, a willingness to share and participate, and sports equipment.
- Students with medical conditions should bring appropriate medications and medical devices (i.e., asthma inhaler, glucometer, etc.)
- Please do not bring: expensive clothing, jewelry, electronic devices, or lots of money.
- All permission slips and money should be turned in to your teacher or Campus Ministry prior to your retreat.